My new job is using SQL Server (rather than SAP-HANA or Sybase!!) as a database engine. During a manual install of the product I’m working on I stumbled over a couple small changes with 2012 that had changed since SQL Server 2005 (and even version 6.5!!)
- Authentication mode
‘Out of the box’ – the server defaults to only ‘Windows Authentication’.
However user ‘sa’ is (obviously) not a windows user.
Easy change: Server Properties – Security – Authentication – select both SQL Server and Windows Authentication.
- User ‘sa’
In Ye Olde Days – the password was blank.
The new recommendation is ‘Password123’.
(yes – I did remember that when I found it online – just slipped my puppy-brain).
- The CLR engine (for .NET objects) has to be enabled before it’s used.
Yes – I remembered that one too when I found it online…